Saturday, January 21, 2017

Cardivest

 Sometimes an idea pops into my head and everything else is put on hold until I try it out. This was just such an idea. Instead of casting on a large number of stitches and decreasing in the center until the diamond is formed, why not start at the end and increase until the length and width are just right?
This was my plan.
 Beginning with the back, cast on 3 stitches. Knit the first row, then kfb,k,kfb, = 5 stitches. Knit the next row and then s1, kfb,k,kfb,p, = 7 stitches. Continue increasing until work measures about 20" long and 20" wide. It worked!
Originally I was gonna do the same for the front, making a pullover, but changed my mind and decided to make a cardigan vest instead. I had limited variegated yarn, so I had to be frugal. The fronts were begun the same way and then I stopped increasing, just knitting in stripes until I reached the neckline, cast off a bunch and continued in stripes until I had an equal amount as the back. After sewing (!!!) up the shoulders and side seams, I added the neck banding and button bands. Did I love making it? Yesssssss! But sewing up seams, not so much.
Lion Brand Amazing in Carnival, and  Merino Sport Mix, size 7 needles.

Here's my 69 year old self modeling. Photo by Dave. Note the dog butt in the mirror.
 Family who got no attention or feeding until this was finished. Not nearly as happy as me.

11 comments:

  1. Your vest is lovely. I wish I understood knitting.....How do you get the "right angle bend" in the row?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweater is beautiful and you are AMAZING! You could have been an engineer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in this vest and you amaze me how you figure out different placements :) BTW, you're looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this one too! Judith P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smashing design, looks so easy to wear in those colder days but with "arms free". Love the photo of Dave and the dogs waiting patiently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever you are! The way to a man's heart is certainly through his stomach, isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this!! So clever and great color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great! Love the family photo. It's good to see them again - it's been awhile since you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!!!!
    I cherish my sweaters it makes winter cozier !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your 69 year old self looks pretty darn good! I love the soft colors of that vest.Also,thanks a lot for the picture of Dave and dogs - snort! So glad I'd already put my mug of tea down ;-)! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to see you are still knitting!! I'm starting to sew (a little bit) more. I've missed seeing your designs, so I'm happy to have rediscovered your blog :-)
    L

    ReplyDelete