Thursday, December 1, 2016

Taking inventory

 I still find myself collecting yarn and thinking that I have the perfect other yarn to pair with it for a new knit garment. But then where is it? I spend countless hours opening bins looking for that imagined yarn and not always finding it. Then I decided to drag out all the yarns to pair them up and find matches and re-store them in separate bins. It took most of the day, but was so worth it.
 I found unimagined combinations that work.  Silky Wool
DK
45% Wool, 35% Silk, 20% Nylon
and
Souk
by Cascade Yarns Aran: 55% Silk, 45% Wool
by AraucaniaAran 100% Merino
 and

Gina
by Plymouth Yarn Worsted: 100% Wool
 Rowan Merino DK 9  
and Malabrigo Rastita merino
 Noro Taiyo and Rowan Summer Tweed, Aran 70% Silk, 30% Cotton, a non wool combo. 

  Isabella
Aran
60% Wool, 30% Silk, 10% Rayon
and 
Kudo
by Plymouth. Aran: 55% Cotton, 40% Rayon, 5% Silk
by AraucaniaAran 100% Merino
and 
Brown Sheep Lanaloft 100% wool
 ...and then the unmatched wools from Malabrigo, which I fondled for several minutes.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Two Sided Quilting


 Instead of shopping on Black Friday, I quilted this new quilt. The top was made last year and the reverse was made to match the size but as you can see, a totally different colorway. Hand dyed cottons, and commercial prints and plaids, machine pieced and machine quilted 51x63". I used light violet threads for the quilting. $250 Email me.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Scrappy Fun

 
As I was cleaning up the tornado debris of scraps, a thought arrived to leave out just two bins of bits and strips and sew those down to a manageable lot.
O! What fun this turned out to be. While doing my laundry (room adjacent to the studio) I made use of the time by corralling small leftovers into big beautiful blocks, a sourdough starter for the next quilt top.
 These will work in any color scheme I should choose. Hurray! I know full well that this is nothing new, and many many of you are already doing it, but it is really a great feeling to be using up the 'scraps too small to save' and emptying a bin or two. I feel like I know what I would bring if I ever had the opportunity/ability to go to a quilting retreat.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Scrap-a-palooza

 The new scrappy top. Hand dyed cottons, commercial prints, 51x65", machine pieced. The plan was to bring out my scrap bins and see where that led me. No color scheme was planned but it soon became blue and pink, for which I had plenty of bits to get me started.
Aiming for large negative areas, I was happy to find big chunks in the bins. as well as long wider strips. And of course previously patched semi-blocks to add to the mix.
 

Did a bomb go off? Scrap quilting always gets out of hand in a hurry. On the other hand I learned that my set up is just right for this sort of work. I have an ironing pad on the left and a cutting mat for trimming, and another bigger matt on my stand up work table for cutting yardage. Very efficient, if messy.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

A New Point of View

 I've been a quilter since December of 1981. 35 years! My goals have changed over the years and again just this week. The goal now of using up my 'good' fabric is starting to make sense to me. And with the genuine emotional release of getting a quilt quilted in one day, it's quite a motivator.   This is a top I made last year in the old house and instead of just quilting it, I am planning on making another top just this size for another double sided quilt. This way I can plan on more open space to feature the quilting on the new top where it will be visible.  The design wall is now covered with batting and just walking into my fabric closet (the bathroom/laundry room) I think I'll begin at the bottom with the scrap bins, as a jumping off point.
Plenty o'fabric to last me til I keel over. 

Friday, November 18, 2016

The Return of the Design Wall

Now that I am enthused about quilting my tops, I realized I needed to re-mount my design wall, which fell down months ago. Hopefully it will stay put this time.  Photographing quilts is better if they are pinned up. I still haven't covered the surface with batting, but that is next.

A Yellow Affair backed with an untitled top. Hand dyed and commercial cottons, machine pieced and machine quilted, 46x60" $250.00 SOLD




Thursday, November 17, 2016

That Settles It


The wheels did the trick. I evened out the two tables and quickly sandwiched a top and back (both pieced) and sat down for the big try out. I also switched out my chair to one that raises and lowers more accurately.
Two hours into the quilting and I had to break for a doggie walk. Back soon afterward and I put in another hour of quilting. I am 3/4 done with this 48x62" top.
 The table makes it very easy to guide and slide the quilt and I don't need any other mechanisms to accomplish the work. Simple is best. Of course the tops I am quilting are not fancy, but functional and I am happy to be reducing the UFO bin as I play. I am excited to finish the rest this way, with allover quilting, so fast and still decorative.
Yellow Affair cottons including hand dyes, machine pieced, unquilted, 47x62": Untitled top, 48x60", machine pieced,  unquilted.:
These are the two unrelated (except by yellow) that I quilted together.